Sunday, June 17, 2012

Byte Me: Day 2

Media Fast Log
Day 2- June 16, 2012    

      Let's have a talk about productivity and irony. I've been working on two articles for This Dish Is Vegetarian for the past two weeks, but it all it took was one media-free morning to finally finish them. After eating my breakfast of cereal, all I did was sit in my bed and write. I did not leave my fluffy workstation until I had written, edited, rewritten, and proofread both of my articles. This took about two hours, and by the end of it, I felt more accomplished and fulfilled than I had in weeks. All that time, all I had to do was actually sit down and write, and I was done. I think that the greatest obstacle of the modern tortured artist is to stay tortured. With all our media, it is so easy to be distracted from what truly disturbs us and what we would like to change with our art. All of these distractions take away our inspiration. We have forfeited the right to scream in exchange for the right to view. I was only able to have this realization after I separated myself from my distractions and remembered what was really important to me. I couldn't believe how easily I had forgotten.
     Anyway, after I finished my two pieces and e-mailed my editor, I did yoga for about forty minutes. By this time, it was around noon and I wanted to make my favorite healthy, vegan chocolate chip cookie dough and eat lunch before I had to leave for work at my high class burger joint. After making the cookie dough, which is basically made of the same ingredients as oatmeal(!), I mixed into the ice cream I make out of frozen bananas. Then, I ate a fair amount of it because it's a guilt-free alternative to regular cookie dough ice cream along with a green smoothie. Being the health freak that I am, I really enjoyed my lunch. I was the only one home at the time, and usually when that happens, I eat with the TV on so that I feel less lonely. It's kind of messed up that I crave company from a glowing, talking box, but this is a common phenomenon. For some reason, the modern human detests and fears quiet, and I am no exception. However, I forced myself to indulge in the silence and my meal yesterday, and found it to be peaceful. I actually focused on the full taste of what I was eating for once, and it made a difference. I was there for this experience, small and insignificant as it was.
      After eating, I cleaned all the dishes I had used in my baking. I even decided to be a good samaritan in my family and empty the dishwasher. In doing so, I created one of my trademark lindsay messes. It happened like this: I was trying to put away some glasses that simply did not want to fit onto their designated shelf. I begged and pleaded with them, but no dice. Whilst trying to force them to fit, I knocked the shelf above this one and sent a wine glass flying over my head and crashing onto my kitchen floor. Then, in my attempt to clean up my first lindsay mess I created another lindsay mess by breaking my vacuum. As it turns out, you're not supposed to use the hose function of the vacuum to pick up glass. Who knew? Apparently, everyone except for me. So without media in my life, I've been able to break the twice the things in half the time. My efficiency is off the charts. Of course, I am only kidding. My intentions were wholeheartedly good in this matter. I was trying to help out my family before being asked, and when I messed up, I did my best to take care of it. Donna Reed I am not, but you can't blame a girl for trying.
     After I took care of this debacle, I rushed--I mean drove carefully and totally within the speed limit-- to the outdoor shopping center where the restaurant I work at is located. I was there forty minutes early because I wanted to quickly paint a plate for my father at Color Me Mine. My dad collects English huntscene plates, so I wanted to make him one of my own as a gag gift for father's day. My paintbrush flew as in only half an hour I created a masterpiece on par with that of a pretty talented five-year-old. By this time it was almost four, so I ran to work where I was then held captive until 12:45 a.m. In case anyone is still left wondering, I do have about three days in the same space of time that normal people have about one. When I finally got home, about one a.m., I ate a chocolate strawberry-banana smoothie and some steamed edamame. Exhausted as I was, I watched a half an hour of Hey Arnold! to unwind and remember my childhood. I allowed myself one hour of TV per day when I exercised, but at this point, just existing was work out enough. Then, I started a blog post about my night at work which I was too exhausted to finish but will be posting soon. Finally, I fell into bed around two a.m. and slept peacefully in my completely dark and silent room.

No comments:

Post a Comment