Monday, June 18, 2012

#servergirlstruggz -- Don't Cry Over Spilled Iced Tea

June 18, 2012    
     I'm actually surprised that this didn't happen sooner. It was only a matter of time before my lack of coordination and depth perception did some actual damage. That's right, everyone, I spilled my first drink on someone. My unsuspecting victim was a thirteen year old boy out with his older (and douchier) brother. Iced tea was my weapon of choice, and the greatest irony of this whole situation was that the iced tea wasn't even for him. While grabbing the first drinks for my recently sat party of six, I noticed that the two guys needed refills. Having faith in my newly enhanced arm muscles, I figured that I would enlarge two tips with one tray by dropping off two more Cokes at the boys' table before proceeding to the bar to pick up the rest of the other party's drinks. It was midst transfer from tray to table that the glass of Coke knocked the glass of iced tea all over the younger brother. Apologizing profusely to the kitchen and back, I quickly grabbed some paper towels to soak up the Great Iced Tea Flood of 2012. All the while, I was worried about my other table (who would inevitably have a bigger bill and give me a better tip) and how they were holding up without their beverages. After the spill was eradicated and the younger boy was drying nicely, I rushed off to the bar, grabbed my other drinks, and successfully delivered them to my larger table.
     After taking care of that table, as well as a mother and a daughter, I thought that everything was fine with the two boys. It was all iced tea under the bridge. That is, until I dropped off their check and was asked if they could have a discount because of the spilling incident. The reasoning the older brother wanted a discount was that he had to take the younger boy home so that he could get a new pair of shorts before they went to the movies. He assured me that it would be "chill" if he couldn't get a discount, but that he would really like one. At first, I thought he was joking, but when I brought up that interpretation of his request, I discovered that he was "dead serious." Reluctantly, I got my manager and explained the situation. He gave the guys a ten dollar discount on their twenty-five dollar bill, which the older brother appraised as "baller."
     I assumed that my horror story of a table experience ended here, but there was a final plot twist. The  guys left twenty dollars to pay their new fifteen dollar bill. They did not ask for change. They did not stiff me on my tip, which is what I had assumed would be the end result of this whole beverage blunder. Not only did the guys tip me, but they overtipped me. I was confused that someone so adamant about getting a discount would just throw down five dollars needlessly. Oh well, at least I made back half of what I am sure is being taken out of my tips. Alls well that ends well, I guess. Still, I hope that those two boys froze in the air conditioned movie theater, dry shorts and all.

These dirty plates aren't the only thing that's a hot mess. #servergirlstruggz

No comments:

Post a Comment