Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Byte Me: Day 4

Media Fast Log
Day 4 - June 19, 2012
  
     Another day, another dollar, another double shift-- all free of media. I started the fourth day of my media fast with a green smoothie breakfast and a nice chat with my mom. Together, we made the grocery list because our kitchen became a veritable ghost town over the busy, dance recital-filled weekend. Then, as she went shopping, I cleaned the counter and loaded the dishwasher. I also found some time this morning for my blog. My next action may shock some readers, but let me explain. I went on Facebook. However, I went on Facebook with the express intention to message a friend who was working on Fast Media, Media Fast with me about promoting my blog posts on the Facebook page. If anyone is still with me after that meta-sentence, I think you will agree that I have not broken my fast in this instance. I had almost thirty notifications, and I ignored them all. Of course, I was tempted to check them because I was pretty sure that one of my friends had posted some pictures from a recent trip to the beach, but I abstained. I think that a really big part of the reason why I was able to stay strong as I clicked through the valley of temptation was because I knew that if I did I would have to admit to my readers (whoever you may or may not be). 
     Dr. Cooper wrote about keeping a daily journal while media fasting, but that did not keep me motivated like this blog has. I think that the public aspect of this blog willed me to continue with my fast because I didn't want to disappoint you guys. For some reason, I have a really big aversion to disappointing people. When I have others invested in me, no matter how great or small, I feel more of an obligation than if it were just me and my cheering section of one. So, what this whole digression comes down to is that I want to thank you guys for (metaphorically) being there for me in my darkest (minus the glow of the computer screen) of hours.
      At any rate, I went to work at noon, performing my diligent waitress duties until two p.m. when I went on break. I was supposed to be back at work for the night shift at four so I took this time to run a few errands and eat lunch. I ate good ole fashioned PB & J with a co-worker, listening politely to her relationship problems and offering what advice I could. I'm probably one of the last people who should be giving relationship advice since I know how to get good guys, but not how to keep them, but that's another post for another day. (I may or may not be a commitaphobe. I like to attribute all my relationship problems to bad timing.) At any rate, I worked from four until about nine, which, believe it or not, I considered getting out of work pretty early. 
      When I got home, I worked out for thirty minutes while watching Bridesmaids. This is one of my favorite movies, but I did stopped watching it after I finished working out because I did not want to distract myself longer than was necessary. After working out, I made dinner for myself around eleven p.m., which has become my new dinner time since I started my job. Seeing as I stay awake until one or two a.m. writing anyway, the timeline is about the same as for a normal person. However, tonight, instead of writing, I did some yoga to stretch myself out from my cardio and then promptly went to sleep. Knowing that I had to wake up at seven a.m. the next morning to get to my other job by eight a.m., I was all too happy to collapse into bed at twelve-thirty a.m. I had no time nor energy to blog about my media free day, which is why I'm doing it now. As I write this, I have now survived five days without media (!), and I gleaned some insights from today which I will muse upon and share in my next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment